signed “ Daum Nancy”
The tall vase has a pale lilac body with a deep purple overlay. It stands on a moulded spreading foot and is of slender baluster form with a relatively narrow neck and swelling lip. The body is decorated en camée with pastoral scenes of goatherds in a landscape, one standing and the other sitting and playing the panpipes.
The Verrierie de Nancy glass factory was established by Jean Daum in 1878. At first, specializing in domestic tableware, the business changed direction after it was taken over by his sons, Auguste (1853–1909) and Antonin (1864–1930), in 1887. From about 1890, and influenced by Emile Gallé, the firm became known for the production of etched cameo glass of the kind represented by this vase. It was, however, always a more commercial operation than Gallé’s, employing numerous decorators, such as Henri Bergé, who worked under the direction of Auguste.
Sir Ratan Tata Art Collection
European Decorative Art
Height 31 cm