Old Government House
Thomas Daniell’s “View of Calcutta” represents Old Government House, built in 1767 on Esplanade Row next to the new Council House. It became the official residence of the Governor-General in 1773.
In 1784, Thomas Daniell, an engraver, assisted by his nephew William reached Calcutta in 1786 and completed twelve etched and aquatinted “Views of Calcutta” by 1788, printed and hand-coloured by Indian assistants. The images became immensely popular in India and Europe.
Lord Wellesly commissioned to erect the new Government House at the turn of the 19th Century on the same site.
Gift of Pauline and Roy Rohatgi
Prints, Drawings and Photographs
Coloured Etching with Aquatint