A View of the Botanic Garden House and Reach
From James Baillie Fraser’s “Views of Calcutta and its Environs”.
Fraser arrived in Calcutta in 1814 and in six years produced these animated sketches of the busy city.
One of two views of the river Hooghly, this one looks up to the Botanic House on the left and the palatial country residences of Garden Reach on the right. The house, built in 1795, was the residence of the Superintendent of the Gardens, the great botanist Dr William Roxburgh. The gardens were established by the East India Company in 1786, through the efforts of Colonel Robert Kyd, its first superintendent.
The Roxburgh Building came under the management of the Botanical Survey of India in 1963. From 2009 it is renamed as ‘Acharya Jagdish Chandra Bose Indian Botanic Garden’.
Gift of Pauline and Roy Rohatgi.
Prints, Drawings and Photographs
James Baillie Fraser